Friday, August 06, 2010

Beaver Beaver.


A sculpture of a beaver with a giant vagina has has torn the sleepy town of Bemidji, Minnesota asunder, awakening ardent debate about the right to bear labia—and inspiring mischievous, sticky-goo-squirting vandals.
True story: My old roommate is from Bemidji. Before it was famous for a sculpture of a beaver with labia the length of its torso, Bemidji was famous for an 18-foot shrine to Paul Bunyan. Bemidji: Where tacky goes to get supersized.
But back to the beaver with the ginormous beaver. A local art initiative was sort of asking for it when they gave giant beavers to a bunch of local artisans and instructed them to paint them however they wanted, for public display. (The painted animal thing hit most metropolises a decade or so ago, but Bemidji, a town of 13,000, waited politely for their turn.) Local woodsy earth mama Deborah Davis named hers "Gaea" and dedicated it to a "celebration of womanhood," its belly painted with a giant, anatomically accurate image of a splayed vagina covered in, uh, roses? Polka dots? Herpes? (Deborah Davis says her painting isn't of labia, but hands clapsed in prayer.)
Anyway, Gaea's vagina aroused such controversy that the Bemidji City Council had to call a special meeting. Initially censored, Gaea was eventually returned to the wild and now has her own Facebook page, where you can keep up with her daily travails. The latest: Gaea has been defaced with a "tacky" opaque substance that is probably graffiti, unless it was the giant Paul Bunyan statue in the middle of the night. Roadside attractions of the northern coniferous forest have needs, too.
Gawker.com

Who's she kid'n? It's a vagina!
Wally

4 Don't Just Sit There Say Sumthin !:

Anonymous said...

Ummmmm, it has herpes?

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

wallycrawler said...

Man Jag has it come down to this? You talk'n about herpes and me have'n trolls all the time? I'm so bored of this. I'm gonna do what I should have done years ago.

I'm gonna become a Professional Commentator! No more just comments on TMZ, Gawker & Perez Hilton. I'm go'n fer da BIG TIME!

I use'ta get in so much trouble at ABC & NBC... This time I'm gonna really f'em over. I'm gonna go crazy again.

Anonymous said...

Wally, I have no idea what the world is coming to.