Saturday, December 20, 2008

Kings Of Rock ! cough.ripoff...cough.ripoff...cou...Part Tres.

Last week I had an associate ask me, "Wally you write all kinds of "off the wall" little know stuff on your blog. "What's the one thing that you wrote, that gave you the most flack"?

Well my answer was a post I did in my first year about "Fat Golfers". But the one I still get the most hits on, day after day, is this post...

Now after two years, I finally have found a web page that shows proof positive that what I wrote two years ago was the ugly truth about this group.

I'm am also borrowing pages from a web site that wrote about this topic years before anyone was ever talking about it. "Nash The Slash's" web site...

So Here's The Story About The Supposed "Kings Of Rock".





In the late 60's and the early 70's their was 3 huge bands "The Beatles" , "The Rolling Stones" , and a new kid on the block "Led Zeppelin" . I was a fan of all three , and so were all my buds . These three bands controlled the teen world . Who knew where the sounds and music they made really came from ? We kind'a knew the "Stones" borrowed heavily from the early blues legends Howlin' Wolf , Muddy Waters...etc... We never knew how much they "borrowed" ?

I was listening to the "Howard Stern Show" in March and some book written by some guy , Timothy English , was mentioned , "Sounds Like Teen Spirit" . Stern and the gang were talk'n about how surprised they were at who stole what from who . Gary ("Ba Ba Boey") said "Led Zeppelin's" whole catalogue was in question , in fact the new liner notes were being changed on the "Best Of Led Zeppelin" . They were change'n the song writing credits from "Page & Plant" to whoever they ripped-off . The Biggest news was the classic Rock song of all time , the one everyone knows as "the song" of this era , was a compete rip-off ! Ya know what song I'm talk'n about don'tcha ? Do I have'ta write it ? OK . "Stairway To Heaven" . I know what your think'n . "NO WAY DUDE" ! "Ya Way Dude" !


Back in the early 1970's my friends listened to all kinds of Rock music . We really enjoyed a little known band in the U.S. . This Rock band had a record that reached platinum in Canada . It was was recorded in 1970 and produced by legendary producer David Briggs (Neil Young's producer). This classic album wasn't really that well received in the U.S. To be fair it kind'a didn't get air play , until a underground station in Toronto started play'n it heavily around 1971 . The bands name is "Spirit" and the albums title was "The Twelve Dreams Of Doctor Sardonicus" . I know what your think'n what does "Spirit" have'ta do with "Zeppelin" ? Well in the late 60's they toured together . It seems "Page & Plant" kind'a took alike'n to a certain song "Spirit" performed nightly . "Taurus" was the song they coveted . "Stairway To Heaven" is a replica of "Taurus" . The cord progression in "Stairway To Heaven" is incredibly similar to a song by the Chocolate Watch Band, "And She's Lonely." This is another similarity. They just so happened to have toured with this group also! I would love to say this is all a coincidence , but these coincidences happen way to often with those two "artists", Page & Plant. As a matter of fact I think Jimmy Page has stolen Randy California's (he wrote Taurus) way of playing guitar . I'll say something else I think all royalties from "Stairway To Heaven" should be paid to the family of Randy California . Unfortunately Randy died along with his son, in a swimming accident in Hawaii .

Here is a short list of songs Zeppelin ripped-off completely or "borrowed from".

Now who would believe they would rip-off folk singers? Well they did!
"Babe I’m Gonna Leave You" sung by Joan Baez...became "Good Times, Bad Times". "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" was stolen from folk singer Anne Bredon the writer. Through legal action the liner note has been changed to "Bredon/Page/Plant" .
"How Many More Times" ; The 1st. half the song is rip'd from Howlin' Wolf .The 2nd. half rip'd from a Albert King song "The Hunter" .
"The Lemon Song" ; Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" . They should just call the band "Howlin' Wolf" they rip'd' off this dude so much !
"Moby Dick" ; Sleepy John Estes's "The Girl I Love" .
"Whole Lotta Love" Lyrics and music written be Steve Marriott From "The Small Faces" He was paid off back in the 70's to shut-up about it . Trouble was Steve Marriott borrowed and gave credit to Willie Dixon's "You Need Love"... Zeppelin did neither!
They also "borrowed" Willie's "I Can’t Quit You Baby". They didn't even bother to change the title, they were so brazen!
The list of songs goes On & On & On...

This isn't Led Zeppelin borrowing or paying homage to forgotten artists. This is stealing music fret by fret, note be note, lyric by lyric! To fool yourself thinking it's any other thing would be a disservice to yourself, your youth and the artist that they stole from. Once Plant and Page put their names on the liner notes...That's it, the song has been plagiarized!

I wrote at the top of this post I would give proof to this story and here it is.
Web sites that back-up everything that I wrote two years ago.

First the site were you can hear some of the music side by side.---->Hear It Here!

Also "Nash The Slash's" pages on Led Zeppelin, Steve Marroitt and the band "Spirit".

----->Here!
-----> & Here!

Also a few other web pages that back up what I've writen now and in the past!

-----> Here!
-----> & Here! This guy is much more nice about it than I am!

To say "Zeppelin" is a bunch'o'bullshit would be a understatement . I think the band should be pulled from the "Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame" and replaced with the real people who they ripped-off . Namely "Spirit's" Randy California and "Humble Pie's" Steve Marriott. <---Watch This!

And of coarse the Blues & Folk ledgends of the 40's, 50's & 60's!



Maybe the most influantchal musician of our time Willie Dixon:





I think he's in the "Hall Of Fame"! Steve Marriott Of "Humble Pie" & "The Small Faces": A little known fact is the movie "Almost Famous" is based on the "Humble Pie's" Steve Marriott!



Randy California of "Spirit": If you wanna see what a "REAL" tribute is---> Hear This!





Great album give it a try!:

Sa Later Da Wallycrawler

5 Don't Just Sit There Say Sumthin !:

Heff said...

I've seen & heard the clip that Zep ripped off for "Stairway" before. You still can't deny they did other awesome shit, though. - Even if Jimmy Paige DID sell his soul to the devil to write those other songs, lol !

Ice said...

Merry Christmas, baby!

XO

All the best to you and yours!

Hope Santa's good to ya's!

wallycrawler said...

Heff, my daughter and I were listen to "Kashmere", because she asked if I hated Led Zeppelin after read'n my post.

I told her Zeppelin's music is timeless and that was the song I picked for her to listen to.

SHE LOVED IT! And so do I. As I do to all their work. I just wish they could have been a little more honest. Well a lot more honest! Even with them not write'n that materiel it would have been seen as great work.

__________________________________


Princess thank you very much! You
and yours have a wonderful Christmas! Those kids will be spoiled rotten fer sure and isn't that the whole reason for the day, Children and family? I hope your celebration is your best one ever.

The little one is your biggest gift this year. I know he came as a surprise, but he's a welcome guy.

These babes that come out'a nowhere tend to be the real blessing in our lives!

Be happy this year beautiful!

We are all go'n downtown fer the New Years festivities. Maybe we'll bump inta each other?

Tasty said...

rn'tcha tired of this subject? i am! the 70's r over dear. get a life! talk bout that huge thing thats between us when im close! sumthin interesting. man ur boring!!!

Heff said...

Granted.